The Sistine Chapel; The Flowers of Washington

The Creation of Adam, by Michelangelo

If you believe that there is or might be a God (or gods), does Michelangelo's representation of God on the Sistine Chapel ceiling resemble the picture of God in your head? Why or why not?

Sam: I can't really imagine what God looks like, I imagine him as a spirit. So Michelangelo's picture does not work for me. I imagine God as a spirit who is nice but stern.

Mac: Yes, because God in this painting seems very old and wise, knowing everything. Michelangelo captured it perfectly with the light grey beard and light grey hair.

Percy: No, not really. I always thought God's eyes would be kinder. In this painting his eyes don't look mean, but they don't look very kind and helpful either.

Andrew: No. I don't think God would look like anything. I think of God as a spirit. God wouldn't be a boy or girl, either; I think God would be like a wise and mysterious cloud.

Liam: I believe that god is a force, not a person, like a great white light, a life force that no one can really depict or explain.

Fletcher: It does resemble how I think of god. I think of him as old and wise, with white hair and a beard, the way that Michelangelo drew it.

Ellen: I think the way you want to imagine or see God is different for each person, and there's not a right or wrong way to see it. 

The Flowers of Washington, by Alexa

Flowers at the National Gallery, by Kelsey

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Questions About Hinduism

Where is Greece?