Impressions From Our Washington Adventure


Eloise: When we walked into the Cathedral, Bella Grace, Annabelle, and I immediately started taking pictures. There wasn’t anything that we didn’t want to remember ... The cathedral was so huge that I couldn’t believe anyone had built it, or that there was another cathedral that was bigger. 

The beauty of the architecture is what I will remember most. The flying buttresses felt as though they were added just for show, and not to keep something from falling. The stone work is incredible, and the rose window made me appreciate all the work that the people did.



Alexa: I was expecting the cathedral to be this super bright, different-colored room with about a million chairs in it. It was not as extravagant as I thought it would be.

The Gothic cathedrals seem like they should be extremely fancy, but this cathedral didn’t seem that way. But, I kind of liked it, because I tend to prefer things that are more simple, plain and cozy, which is why I prefer the Romanesque cathedrals over Gothic cathedrals.

I was also surprised about how many rooms there were. I thought it was just one main room that seats all the congregation, but I was wrong. There were many different rooms, much smaller of course than the main room, which seemed to hold mini church services at different times.

I liked those rooms the best because they were cozier, and to me, seemed more sacred and connected to god. For example, I liked the mosaic room because of all the vibrant mosaic stones.



At the National Gallery of Art, my favorite painting was The Adoration of the Shepherds. I really like the landscape and also Joseph’s bright orange, gold cloak. I love the way it somehow shimmers in the light. 

Another part I loved were the parts of the museum with the greenhouse style, and the fountains in the middle of rooms, with flowers surrounding them. I loved all the colors! 

Joe: After we got off the bus and went to the bathroom, the 6th grade headed up the stairs into the fresh DC air that smelled like new cars and restaurant fumes. We all gathered around the front of the building with our chaperones.

I could tell that every one was a little speechless. Looking at the architecture made you want to open your mouth in awe. It was truly magnificent.

... Slowly walking up the stairs, I finally made it inside where all the beauty was. Never in my life have I seen a more stunning and God instilled structure.

The tour guide took us through the nave, into the right transept and around the altar into the left transept. We saw pipe organs, beautiful tapestries and carvings, lots of arches, and columns. I prayed a little during the tour, and I even lit a candle for my deceased grandfather, who I truly admire.



Carter L.What felt different was how real the paintings were and how old or aged all of them were. I like seeing older paintings more, because most of them are an actual scene -- not abstract, which I'm not a fan of. All the paintings had cracks in them because of age, but I prefer those cracks because I think it gives the paintings texture.

My favorite painting was The Adoration Of The Shepherds, because I admired how well the water was drawn in the background. It was not blue, it was almost a clear silver which I had never seen before in a painting. 

At the Cathedral, I noticed how much detail was put into the stained glass windows. 

Before I visited, I thought they were just dyed glass, thrown together. Now I'm more aware of the hard work the craftsmen put into making the glass and shaping it exactly right. They are almost like a glass painting. 

Ellie: I found it very intriguing how a Gothic cathedral had all the modern city buildings around it. It was almost as if someone went back in time and took the Cathedral out of its place and planted it down in D.C.

At the National Gallery of Art, we got to the second floor, and I enjoyed looking down at my classmates from the little hole in the floor. I was also surprised that an art museum would have a fountain and plants inside it. It was surprising, but I liked it.


Bjorn: In the National Gallery, one thing that really surprised me was how insane the detail is in all of the paintings and sculptures. For example, one of the sculptures had a person kneeling on sand, and you could see almost every individual grain. It shows you that an enormous amount of effort was put into sculptures and paintings back then.

Gabriel: The stained glass windows were all different and colorful. My favorite was the space window. The colors were very different from traditional stained glass. There were dark blues and purples and reds that gave it a very different feeling.


More Impressions Coming Tomorrow...




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Questions About Hinduism

Where is Greece?